Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Preorderpalooza and Update

Figured I'd do a blog update and write about some of the Manga titles I've pre-ordered now I've already written about Waiting for Spring by Anashin and Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu by Kumota, Haruko in my Best and Worst Anime, Manga, and Light Novels of 2016 post. So I will not be writing about those two instead I'll be going off of my Plan To Read List over at MAL. First up is Plum Crazy! Tales of A Tiger-Striped Cat licensed in English by Seven Seas Entertainment. This is Josei cat Manga now I love Josei Manga Okazaki, Kyoko is one of my all time favorite Mangaka and I really feel like Josei is one of the last untapped frontiers for Western Otaku. Now Plum Crazy is simply a slice of life series with a cat it would be really easy to say it's Chi's Sweet Home for women but I think that's reductive. If anything I'm supporting this because one I am militantly pro cat and two I want to support some Josei Manga that is not warmed over Harlequin romance tropes or simply sexed up Shojo for twenty somethings who have moved on from reading Shojo Comic and Bessatsu Friend. As I can remember the days when Tokyo Pop tried to put out titles like Mitsukazu Mihara's The Embalmer or start up the Passion Fruit line of comics as specifically comics for women. In short I hope this if Plum Crazy does well it may make Seven Seas or others be a little more adventurous and get more left of center Josei out in the American market that is not simply republications of Ai Yazawa titles or romance comics. Delicious in Dungeon licensed by Yen Press, this is about a broke group of adventurers who to keep from starving to death are forced to resort to eating the monsters they run into in the dungeons they raid this is one of those ideas that's so screwy weird that it both sounds like something that I'm surprised no one ever thought of it before. In short this combines two things I like cooking and old school D&D style fantasy while also having a quirky sense of humor. Next is Golden Kamuy about an Russo-Japanese war veteran on the quest to find an stash of gold in the wilderness of Hokkaido to help out the widow of an dead comrade and teams up with a young Ainu girl to find it while also trying to duck a pack of criminals that seek the gold he's been made aware of. In short this sounds like hot blooded fun like old Kazuo Koike or Hiroshi Hirata mixed with the sort of gross humor one would find in early Naruto. Again this is something where the period of history is what draws me into it along with the fact that an Ainu girl is one of the main characters and while oftentimes the battle for representation feels like the complaints of a bunch of malcontents. This is something I want to support specifically because it's nice to see diversity in Manga. Arakawa Under the Bridge a screwy romantic comedy about a straight laced guy who has been taught from youth never to be indebted to anyone and his budding relationship with the eccentric Nino and her community of homeless oddballs he ends up having to associate with. Honestly I picked this up because Vertical is putting it out in an omnibus and know nothing other than the basic plot synopsis and that Studio Shaft worked on an Anime adaptation of it. I'll see but I look forward to it. Next up are two other Vertical Titles Flying Witch and Gundam Wing: The Glory of Losers. Flying Witch of course is the original manga of the spring 2016 Anime about a teenaged witch Makoto "Mako" Kowata and her chilled out adventures with her relatives in northern Japan sadly the only thing I really remember about the Anime other than it being charming is how much Anons on 4chan sexualized Chinatsu. This was something I picked up because the price was right and considering the fact that I've been reading stuff like Gundam Thunderbolt I need some stuff to just vibe out to as well. Gundam Wing: The Glory of Losers, is the Manga adaptation and retelling of the Gundam Wing universe of the Gundam franchise. I'm old enough to remember when this first started airing on Toonami and at the time it never did anything for me Tenchi Muyo and Dragon Ball Z were more my speed although I had a friend that made bootleg Gundam Wing shirts in middle school. This is a series that always kind of baffled me that it got so popular with people. Also even though I never watched a lot of it I always liked Quatre and would even say he is my favorite Gundam Pilot. In short one could look at this as the Gundam Origin of The Gundam Wing universe. Next are two Manga adaptations of Light Novels Akashic Records of the Bastard Magical Instructor and the second That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. Akashic Record is about a seemingly slacker instructor at a magical High School who it turns out has an idyosincratic form of magic that involves negating all magic than using hand to hand combat to beat his opponents. It's an interesting idea also Sistine Fibel has adorable little animal ears I am a simple man don't judge me. While That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime is pretty self-explanatory an guy gets killed trying to save a friend and is transferred to an fantasy world where he is reincarnated as a slime which is of course the most worthless and easy monster in most D&D and Dragon Quest influenced games, Anime, and Manga so it will be interesting to see how this goes. Are three Shojo titles Kiss Me at the Stroke of Midnight, The Water Dragon's Bride, and Wake Up, Sleeping Beauty. Kiss Me at the storke of Midnight about a seemingly straight-laced girl who is a closeted romance fan who ends up catching the eye of her crush actor Ayase Kaedea and finding out he also has a secret less "princely" persona. In short sounded charming and the compareson to Kare Kano made me happy. The Water Dragon's Bride is a series by Rei Touma whose previous series Reimei no Arcana was a favorite though I never finished it. While Wake Up Sleeping Beauty feels like a straight up romantic drama honestly these where chosen as part of my push to get back into Shojo Manga. Next is Alice to Zouroku a story about an old amn who runs a flower shop who takes in a girl with strange powers in short this sounds like Elfin Lied except with less gore. This was nother blind buy simply becuese the idea sounded interesting. Next is Sekirei this has been released so far digitaly so far but a print run just got announce a few weeks ago this is a series that helped get me back into Anime when the Sekirei Anime was released sohas always had a soft spot in my heart. Also Devilman G an retelling of Go Nagai's Devilman mythos now I am an unabashed fan of Go Nagai he can put out so many oddball ideas that it's hard to understand how it's possible and this is one of those things I want to support becuese Nagai has never been able to find much of an audience in the States sor of the reverse of Ikuhara. Also up is Cutie Honey a Go Go! The manga adaptation of the live action movie directed by Hideki Anno wich may be the closest we get to any Cutie Honey manga so a case of "eat what you are given" I guess. Finely I come to Light Novels The Empty Box and the Zeroth Maria an horror light novel with no media tie in like a drama cd or an Anime in the works I'm only ordering this becuese I want more Light Novels that are just that Light Novels and not part of a media mix package to be brought over next is oddly two novels that are the inspiration for an Anime in Magical Girl Raising Project which became a surprise favorite for me and Kimi No Na Wa Another Side: Earthbound an spin off Light Novel set in the fictional universe of the super popular Makoto Shinkai movie which I have not seen so I can not really speculate one way or the other. As far as blogging I have been reviewing Scum's Wish but it's hard to review something in which you care nothing for the characters. More so than a series I actively hate or is ridiculously bad.I have ideas for reviews but in between work and powering through older series such as Rurouni Kenshin and Death Note along with the scads of Gundam series and new stuff I am not at a loss of things to watch. Thinking critically about it is sometimes easier said than done while also getting to a point where I don't care about dub vs. sub debate I am not going to make myself feel guilty if I watch a dub. As well as avoiding scene politics but as I've said it's hard when most of the taste makers share the same basic world view that is fundamentally opposed to mine but I find live and let live is the order of the day combined with me getting low grade anxiety attacks whenever I post on ANN's forum. So I have ideas but some of it is me having to finish series than review it or simply just reading things for the sake of reading it. Becoming overly critical can be a problem but I try to at least be thoughtful. So reviews may come infrequently but I have not given up and Spiritually I'm in a better place than I have been in years. So no worries about me discerning the call to an monastery vocation for months. So again things are slowling down but that's just becuese life and the sheer amount of series I am consuming. So I will try to get reviews for the first volumes of a few series maybe a week to week digest of what I've been watching and reading as far as Manga and Anime go so who knows sky's the limit. Post Script: After Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Anime ending and having a rather tasteless plot point confirmed in a discussion forum I have decided to cancel my pre-order of the series everyone has that line in themselves that once crossed by a series it does not matter how wonderful it may be it is irredeemable in the eyes of that person. Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju crossed that line for me so I don't care to have anything to do with it anymore. In fact I'm strikeing it from my best of the season list and sinking the rateing to one on MAL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.